Wednesday 27 January 2010

Hooray for Hollywood & Oscar for VTT


I just found out from my good friend Sarah @ HFTS that there is a new meme in town called Alphabe - Thursday @ Jenny Matlock's blog.
I'm a little late joining in as A was the letter of the week, last week, but better late than never is what I always think so, A is for...................Academy Awards!!
The countdown to the nominations for the 82nd Academy Awards has just 6 days to go and the Oscar ceremony will take place on Sunday March 2nd.
So, hopefully Colorado Lady Suzanne with have her computer back up and running in time for her very popular Vintage Thingies Thursday as I share with you some Hollywood glamour and an intriguing tale from yesteryear.
Porgy & Bess star Pearl Bailey.


A few years ago,whilst mooching around a very large Antiques Fair in Le Mans, I came across a nondescript black, plastic folder containing a number of signed black and white Metro Goldwyn Mayer studio photographs of Hollywood "Stars" from the 1940's and 50's and a handwritten notecard. I'm not a collector of Hollywood ephemera or autographs but something about the small collection and the added personal touch of the notecard "spoke" to me. After a very short haggle about the price the folder came home with me.
I did sell some of the pix on eBay shortly thereafter to a collector in New York who knew a lot more about them than I did and probably was rubbing his hands in glee at the bargain he got that day, c'est la vie.
I still have some of them and more importantly to me I have the notecard too, perhaps I'll use them in some way one day. (Mamie Jane if you are reading this I need your creative input here!)

The card was addressed to Dear Countess de Beauregard and signed Jean Douglas.
It reads:

" These pictures arrived just lately - and I only hope you hadn't given them up forever!

My husband and I were very thrilled with the entire Iata (sic) conference, and it was a very great pleasure knowing you and your husband. We're certainly looking forward to seeing you both again in the not too distant future".

My google search produced Jean Douglas - an actress working in Hollywood in the late 1920's and 30's who was credited only as "the blonde" in the Oscar nominated (Best Art Direction) 1930 movie The Vagabond King, starring Jeanette MacDonald.


Lana Turner
Elizabeth Taylor.

Hollywood legend, diva and my personal favourite: Miss Judy Garland.

Also included were photographs of some of Hollywood's leading men of the day: Red Skelton, Walter Pidgeon and Van Johnson.

Happy VTT everyone.

20 comments:

  1. First of all, thanks so much for following my blog. Secondly, is that a word??? I love this pictures, thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about the meme last week. There were some great posts. I understand that the rule is that you participate each week. Hmmmm...I have commitment phobia!! You did very well with A is for Academy Awards. I don't collect Hollywood ephemera either, but you have an incredible collection of photos!!

    Well done, Maggie!! :-)

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie, 'back in the day', I used to write movie stars all the time and get photographs, authographs, etc. Some I got in person, but most were by mail. These look in very nice condition. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Maggie. Wow, these are great collector's items I think. I used to collect filmstar photo's when I was a young girl and I still have about 150 here. They will be almost 60 years old. I did show collages on my older blog some time ago so maybe I must post some more some time soon in the future. My son tells me go sell them but I still can't part from them. :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love looking back at these types of photos.
    Such beautiful, classy women.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maggie,
    You have a wonderful collection of Hollywood photos. The handwritten notes and autographs really make them special. Now the pressure is on to see if I can come up with an idea for you to display :-)
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. What interesting little bits of film history those studion portraits are. I wonder who the Countess was?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those glamorous pictures! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning Maggie

    Just stopping by to catch up on my reading. This is the first time that I have seen your new blog pic...I like it!!

    I hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I...would...have...DIED if I found those pictures! Seriously! DIED!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful stars "back in the day". Very different from the ones of today.. You have a wonderful collection. Happy VTT,have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow what an amazing collection. I am sure they must be worth quite a bit now. Thanks for sharing these lovely pictures.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice collection. I would think they would be worth some $$$.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, the stars of today just can't compare with those of that era! The women were all so glamorous, weren't they? What a great find!
    Happy VTT!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Hollywood pictures!Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some great ones! But some of my favorites are missing - - - Claudette Colbert, Audry Hepburn, and Loretta Young.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That Elizabeth Taylor really was one of the most beautiful women that ever lived!

    ReplyDelete
  18. great post...love the Hollywood legends. sorry I am so late, I want to throw my computer in the street, still not back right...uhhhh.....Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful piece of Hollywood history you have there. Fun to see and learn a little more. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, I've been AWOL for a few days, and here I come back and find a new look on your blog. I like it, Maggie. Very nice!

    What a find! I love markets for just that reason--you never know what you're going to find. I think I would have bought this collection as well. Gorgeous photos. Wouldn't you love to know the story behind all these?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!