Monday 26 July 2010

Farmer Maggie, c'est moi!

My mini bragfest about the potager last week harvested me some very kind comments.
Mary @ A Breath Of Fresh Air has even taken to calling me Farmer Maggie because of the abundance.
Connie @Living Beautifully, a keen gardener too, wanted to know a little more about the plot so here are some more pix and a few facts.

Two years ago I revamped the vegetable beds which were in place when we bought the property and created 3 long raised beds.
My new BFF is asleep on the bench, not doing her job at all!
Guess I'll have to stand in.
In the bed behind me potatoes waiting to be picked, in the bed in front from the left lavender, rosemary, rocket & sage somewhere in the pumpkin patch, tomato plants and a second crop of haricot bean seedlings just coming through.
They are roughly 22 feet in length and 6 feet wide.
The beds are plenty big enough for our needs and I can manage them myself, calling upon Sean the G only once in Spring to rotivate them and again in the autumn to put the potager to sleep for the winter.

Picking courgettes, with help from Mr Ben.

I usually grow the same things each year, salad leaves, spinach, beans, tomatoes, courgettes, pumpkins, potatoes and a few herbs. This year I added salad onions to the mix and they did quite well.
Courgettes (zucchini) a favourite of mine.

Transformed into one of my favourite summer dishes to make: courgette fritters (delicious) adapted from the summer squash recipe found in Fannie Flagg's great cookbook "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe".

Gardening and cooking, how good is that?

10 comments:

  1. Maggie,
    Beautiful garden! Beautiful farmer girl.

    Just getting back into the swing of the blogging! It's been a long haul.

    Have a great week.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice to have such a lovely garden. We have tomato plants this year, but that is all. We have so many deer and rabbits we would have to build a fence around a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful garden. I love the big hedge row behind it. How wonderful to have all the fresh vegetables throughout the summer!
    Have a wonderful week.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I am so in love with your garden. Such beautiful veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggie, your garden is so neat! In more ways than one.... and those courgette fritters are making my mouth water right now. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie, your garden looks amazing! And the fried zucchini looks delicious. Are you going to post the recipe for us?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I have a difficult time thinking of you as a farmer. LOL Farmer conjures up images of you on a tractor. (Hee Hee) But there is no denying, you are quite the gardener. I know how much time and effort it takes, and my hat is off to you, Maggie. I know you love to cook, and eating from one's own bounty is the best. Kudos to you, my friend!
    Hugs ~ sarah
    PS
    That girl on the bench is slacking off. She needs to jump in and help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That has a cute ring to it, Farmer Maggie!
    Your beds are beautiful - great set up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like you, I do love looking out and seeing edibles grow however it's such a struggle here in the south, especially this year! We've done quite well with tomatoes and cukes but my beans were hopeless this Summer. Your beds look wonderful Maggie, and you the ubiquitous 'French' farmer tending your potager!

    That Ben looks like a trainer gardener too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the hedge along your garden~ and the fritters looks delish!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!